Nothing better than comfort food in the fall and winder months! Mac and cheese is one of the best comfort foods I know. It’s even better with some added “heat” to make it zesty and cheeeesy!
I’m sharing my new Zesty Macaroni and Cheese made with sharp white cheese creamy sauce, some added zest from chipotle and red pepper spice and baked to perfection!
It’s finally starting to get cold over here! Yippee!
Of course, by cold I mean low 70s during the day. So chilly at night but beautiful during the day!
Cooler weather calls for a lot of warm and comforting recipes! Soups, stews, hot dips and of course… macaroni and cheese!
I was in a mood for mac and cheese the other day and I wanted to try something new with it. I got some sharp white cheddar cheese and saw some aged Provolone on the shelf. I thought it would be perfect in the mac and cheese, and it was!
A little zest only added to perfection! The flavor was amazing and the dish was so cheesy and creamy! Heaven!
- 1/2 cup diced shallots
- 3 medium garlic cloves
- 3 tbs butter
- 3 tbs flour
- 1/2 tsp chipotle pepper spice
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (of you like more spice, you can add more but be careful)
- 2 1/2 cups of milk
- 6 oz sharp white cheddar cheese
- 4 oz aged sharp Provolone cheese
- Salt to taste
- 10 oz dry Trottole pasta (or pasta of your choosing)
- Cook the pasta according to the package.
- In a medium pot, melt the butter on medium heat. Add diced shallots and cook until transparent. Add minced (or grated) garlic and saute until fragrant.
- Mix flour, chipotle pepper spice and red pepper flakes together. Sprinkle the flour mixture over the onions. Using a silicone covered whisk, start stirring and slowly add the milk. Keep whisking while adding the milk.
- Cook on medium heat until starts to thicken.
- Grate in the cheeses while stirring often (leave a little bit of cheese for topping). Keep stirring slowly until all smooth.
- Salt to taste.
- Mix with pasta until all evenly combined.
- Lightly grease a baking dish and transfer the mac and cheese mixture into the dish.
- Sprinkle with some cheese.
- Bake at 350 for 15 minutes.
Recipe from Lyuba @ willcookforsmiles.com. All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please simply link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you.
Make sure you follow me through your favorite blog reader (bloglovin or other), or follow me through | Facebook| Twitter| Pinterest|