2 1/2 cups of flour
1/3 cup of dark brown sugar
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp of all spice
1/4 tsp of nutmeg
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup of butter, cold
1/2 cup of chopped pecans
1/3 cup of buttermilk
3/4 can of pumpkin puree (15 oz can)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg and a splash of milk for egg-wash
2 tbs sugar
1 1/2 tsp of pumpkin spice
(Little more flour for kneading the dough)
1. Preheat the oven to 375
2. In a bowl of a mixer, combine the dry ingredients (except pecans) and mix well.
3. In a separate bowl combine buttermilk, vanilla and pumpkin puree and mix until blended.
4. Chop the cold butter into small slices and add to the dry ingredients. Mix the dry ingredients and butter until it looks like coarse crumbs.
5. Add the pecans and pumpkin puree mix into the flour mixture and mix until just combined.
6. Take the dough out and put in onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in 5-6 times.
7. Pat the dough into a circle that is about 1 1/2 inches think. Cut the circle like a pie, into 8 pieces.
8. Transfer the pieces onto a greased baking sheet. Beat egg and milk and brush the scones with the egg-wash. Sprinkle with sugar/pumpkin spice mixture.
9. Bake for about 22-25 minutes.