Classic Caprese Salad (homegrown)

This is a very exciting post for me! I’ve already mentioned to you guys that I have a little urban garden. I am happy to announce…my very first batch of tomatoes is ripe!!
This is not only my first batch this year, it is my first batch EVER! I used to help my grandparents with gardening when I was little, but it is a whole new feeling harvesting your very own vegetables. Nothing is more delicious than homegrown!
Caprese salad is a very simple, Italian salad. This combination of flavors is so perfect and flavorful. You can serve it as an appetizer or a side dish and the best part is how easy it is to make.

1/2 lb Fresh mozzarella
6 grape Tomatoes (you can use 1-2 regular tomatoes, I just prefer grape)
6-8 Whole Basil leaves
2 tsp Balsamic vinegar
1 tbs Olive oil
Salt

1. Slice fresh mozzarella into 1/4 inch thick slices. Slice the tomatoes into thick slices as well. Alternating, layer the tomatoes and mozzarella one after another.

2. Add basil leaves in between each layer.

3. Sprinkle with salt and drizzle with olive and vinegar.

Enjoy!!

* I am linking this recipe to   THESE GREAT PARTIES, in my party tab. Why don’t you visit the wonderful hosts and link some of your own projects!?

Comments

1. Monica Morelli (Nash) says:

This is making my mouth water, it looks so good! I love caprese salad, and nothing beats home grown.

2. Looks so good! Congratulations on your first tomatoes!

3. What a simple and delicious recipe!  I have never had a caprese salad, but I really want one now!

4. Yum! Caprese was one of my favorite summer dinners when I was in Italy. This looks delicious! Congrats on the garden too :)

5. WillCookForSmiles says:

OK, now I am so jealous! Its my dream to visit Italy some day!!
    Thank you!

6. WillCookForSmiles says:

You should definitely try it! Thank you!

7. WillCookForSmiles says:

Thank you!

8. WillCookForSmiles says:

Awww, thank you!

9. Looks so yummy and summery!

10. Patsy Dodd says:

I love Caprese salad..especially when I have fresh tomatoes and basil from my “garden’  This makes me wantto make some right now!

11. Caprese salads are one of my favorites. Love that you were able to get it straight from your garden. We have just planted ours, and I’m looking forward to meals like this.

12. Mmm, one of my fave sides to eat…especially in the summer! And with fresh tomatoes…perfect! So glad my local farm has yummy fresh mozzarella cheese too! The best! Thanks for sharing at my Pinteresting Party this week.

13. Beautiful salad thanks again for linking up :)

14. Suzyhomemaker says:

I made a caprese salad not too long ago with homemade ingredients as well. Although I did not have tomatoes, I did make homemade mozzarella! It was yummy.

15. WillCookForSmiles says:

That’s great! How did you make your own mozzarella?

16. Looks yummy!  Thanks for sharing at Terrific Tuesdays.
    Rachel
    adventuresofadiymom.blogspot.com

17. Qiu Wan says:

That looks amazing.  Love your garden!

Love for you to share this dish at MADE by ME Wednesday’s Linky Party @ JAQS Studio:

18. Kylie @absolutelyarkansas says:

YUMMY! I love caprese. I made it for a family bbq last weekend and ate much more than I should have thats for sure! I love that you used home grown tomatos too, that must send the delicious level right over the top! Thanks for sharing!

-Kylie
    absolutelyarkansas.blogspot.com

19. Heather@French Press says:

caprese is my absolute, very favorite thing ever!  could it eat all day

20. Carolyn says:

You have no idea how impressed I am at your urban garden!  It’s fantastic!

21. This looks fantastic.  You should submit it to  FoodGawker.  Have a great week.

22. Sarah King says:

This looks so good.  I’m so jealous.  I’ve been trying to get my tomatoes going with very little luck.  Maybe next year.  Visiting from Craftionary and

23. Daniela@Frugalaintcheap says:

missing my beloved home! love caprese

24. Debra Kapellakis says:

perfection…

25. This looks so very good! You’re dead right.   Stuff really does taste so much better home grown.

26. WillCookForSmiles says:

Thank you!

27. WillCookForSmiles says:

Best of luck to you! Thank you!

28. WillCookForSmiles says:

I did! Thank you…can’t remember if they accepted it :)

29. WillCookForSmiles says:

Awww, thank you!!

30. That looks sooo good!  I’m growing basil and tomatoes this year…I’ll have to keep this recipe in mind!  Thanks for sharing at Shine on Fridays!

31. Charlene@A Pinch of Joy says:

Congratulations on your gardening milestone.  Homegrown is the best! And the results on the table look delicious.

Thanks so much for sharing on Busy
    Monday at A Pinch of Joy.  Hope to see
    you again soon!

32. Your little garden is lovely!!  Good for you finding a way to have one!  I can’t wait for my tomatoes to ripen up so I can make too!  Thanks for sharing with us at Link It Up Thursday.

33. Emily Morgenstern says:

That looks so yummy…and, pretty!! I’ve pinned this for future reference!!

34. Caprese Salad is one of my favorites!  I am sure that home-grown brings it to the next level.. yummy!

35. Monica Morelli (Nash) says:

36. Thanks for coming by Saturday Dishes. Beautiful,pictures.

Wishes for tasty dishes,