1 1/2 lb of stew beef, chopped
6-8 cups of water
1 tsp coriander
1 can of sliced beets (I know, I got a little lazy to use canned beets)
1 medium onion
1/2 of medium cabbage
2 medium carrots
2 tbs tomato sauce
2 medium tomatoes
1 cup sliced mushrooms
2 tbs white vinegar (divided in two)
1 tbs sugar + 1 tsp sugar
2 medium bay leaves
1. In a large pot, bring water to boil and add the beef, bay leaf and coriander. Lower the temperature to medium-low. Cover, but leave a crack for steam to escape, and cook for about 2 hours.
2. Chop the onion, 1/2 can of beets, carrots and tomatoes.
3. Add the above vegetables, mushrooms, 1 tbs vinegar, 1 tbs sugar and about a cup of stock to a large pot, stir well, cover and cook on medium heat for about 10-12 minutes.
4. Slice the cabbage thin and add it to the vegetable. Stir well, cover and cook until the cabbage is well wilted. (about 20 minutes)
5. Add the prepared beef stock, beef, salt, pepper, bay leaves, tomato sauce. Mix well and taste to see if you need to add a little more vinegar or spices. Cook until the vegetables are fully cooked.
6. When the soup is almost done, in a separate small sauce pan, combine shredded remaining 1/2 can of beets, 1 tbs of vinegar and a teaspoon of sugar, mix well. Bring to boil and add to the soup.