Cook time: 3 hours if making your own stock, 1 hour is using pre-made.
2 chicken breasts
9-10 cups of water
3 tbs butter
3 garlic cloves
2 shallots (sliced)
1 1/2 cups of sliced mushrooms (I prefer baby portobello)
8 oz wild rice
7-8 cups of chicken stock
1 1/2 to 2 chopped chicken breasts
1/2 cup heavy cream or milk
Salt, pepper to the taste
1. To make stock, simply cook the chicken breasts in water for about 2 hours. Save all the water, just in case you will want your soup a little more liquid.
2. In a large pot, melt the butter
3. Grate the garlic into butter, saute until fragrant
4. Add the sliced onion and sliced mushrooms
5. Cook until the mushrooms are almost done (about half the original size)
6. Add the wild rice, mix well and saute for a couple of minutes
7. Add 7 cups of stock, bring to boil, reduce heat to medium low. Cover and cook stirring occasionally for about 35-40 minutes.
8. After the rice has been cooking for about 20 minutes, add the chopped chicken meat.
~Rice will expand a lot and soak up most of the liquid. If you feel like you need more liquid and a cup at a time.
8. Add the heavy cream or the milk, mix well. Bring to boil, reduce hear to medium low and cook for another 15-20 minutes.